Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Half Marathon, SAY WHAT!?!?

Alright, I did it! I officially ran the distance of a half marathon. Something I literally never thought I would do! My goal was to write this right after my run, so that things would be fresh in my mind, but when I tried, the last thing I wanted to do was sit in front of the computer and type, I was so tired. So here's what went down! 

On Saturday night, I took some melatonin pills to help me have a good night sleep. My intention was to get up at 6:45, eat some food, and rest a little until my run at 8. But go figure, I work up at 7:45. So, I did the same things, just an hour behind my intended time. I made sure to go to the store and pick up my energy bars to take on my run. I finally made it to the forest preserve around 9 and began my run. 

The weather was great. The sun was shining and I couldn't be happier with that. It usually takes my .50 miles to warm up and get comfortable. There was a light dusting of snow on some areas of the trail, but nothing worth continuing about. I was looking forward to listening to my music as I had updated my playlist! There were a few people walking and running on the trail as well, which I love. 

While running, I remembered something that someone told me earlier that week. And take this as some advice for you "encouragers". I was speaking to someone about where I like to run, at this particular forest preserve. She told me that her and her husband like to walk there and it is nice, but I need to watch out for coyotes or wolves (I can't remember). She continued to tell me that these animals not only are prevalent in that area, but since it is a more rural area, they are breeding with dogs, AND that they travel in packs rather than alone, because they have the dog pack instinct in them. So, here I am, minding my own business running and jamming out to music when all of the sudden this thought pops into my head. Now, I am sure she was just sharing that story with me to warn me, but the last thing I want to be is afraid when I am running that a pack of half wolf/coyote half dog will be lurking about watching my every move, planning their attack. 

Anyways, I am going to not worry about that too much. FYI, skip this next paragraph if you are of the weak stomach. Of all the running I have done, one thing that I have learned in preparation for my long runs is to definitely use the restroom before hand. Yes, I am talking about going #1 and #2. Now the only reason why I am going to talk about this is because I am blogging about my total experience, and this is what happened to me on my run. So, about mile four I realized something. I forgot to go to the bathroom (#2) before my run. It was something I told myself before I went to bed the night before. Long story short, I wasn't about to stop my run and go in the forest, so I sucked it up and moved forward. I did have gas throughout my run, and later learned that I had sharted just a little bit in my pants. haha/ew I know! (You are the one who chose to follow my blog) So yes, go both #1 and#2 before your longs runs. It is more important that you will ever realize. 

Moving on from that story... For the most part, my run went really well. As always, at point of the run various parts of my body got tight and sore. I really need to continue my leg strength conditioning on my short run days. The wind does make it more difficult, but you just have to muster through that. I wore my leggings, turtleneck and pullover, gloves and earmuffs throughout the run. I stayed warm, but not hot which was very comfortable. 

Once the run was over, I walked for a while because my body was sore and tried but I didn't want to just stop and leave. When I got back to my car, I did my stretches. I brought some G2 Gatorade and drank some of that and finish my energy bars to restore some of the nutrients that were lost. 

So, here are the details of my run:

Distance: 13.22
Time: 1:45:02
Pace: 7:56 mins/mile
Calories Burnt: 1947

I was really pleased with my result. The more important thing was that I wasn't exhausted and ready to die by the end. This is promising for the remainder of my training. 

More updates to come. Happy Running to you all! 

Until the next run, 
cody! 

1 comment: